I'm really sorry guys, but I have some bad news for you:

I just ran out of Lagavulin. And there's barely a dram left in the Ardbeg.

Despite this horrible news I'll try to write another update.

WinkNGrin

Turn 55, July 9th 1942

Operation Roland continues despite some problems keeping my spearheads supplied with fuel. The leading Panzerdivisions by now have advanced between 200 and 250 miles from their jump-off positions and even increased air supply can't keep all divisions well supplied.
But then the most important objective of the operation has been secured: 7th Panzerdivision, Rommel's famed ghost division from the fighting in France in 1940, has severed the last rail line out of the forming Kessel north of Yaroslawl! The only slight chance to save the majority of the Russian forces trapped in the giant cauldron has been shattered by the rapid advance of my Panzerdivisions. Only a narrow, 30 mile corridor around the city of Kostroma on the northern bank of the Volga still connects the vast number of the entrapped Soviet divisions with their lines of communication. But since my breakthrough was targeted into the distant rear of those units there simply isn't anything that far behind to break open the encirclement. With the lack of powerful armoured formations in this area the trapped Soviet divisions are as good as dead.

And while XXXXVI and XXIV Panzerkorps continue their drive north-west towards Kostroma, securing the Volga banks, XL Panzerkorps with 2nd and 4th Panzerdivisions take Gorky against stubborn resistance.

Northern pincer:

Southern pincer:

Current estimate of the trapped Red Army forces: 20+ rifle brigades, 14 rifle divisions, 2 rifle corps, 6 cavalry divisions, 3 cavalry corps and 4 anti-tank artillery brigades.

A telling picture of the situation the Red Army is facing at the moment is the fact the Soviet front line has ceased to exist on a 150-mile gap along the Oka river from Ryazan to Gorky. I'm tempted to turn a Panzerkorps or two east to capitalize on this lack of covering forces, but I need to eliminate the Red Army forces trapped during Operation Roland first. And without fuel my Panzers won't advance much further anyway.

In the centre the situation is dominated by the disintegration of the Russian front line. Tamboy is still defended by 3 rifle divisions but is cut off and will fall next turn. All along the front my infantry corps are advancing steadily East. Operational objective for them is the Volga, which they should reach within 3-4 weeks.

The Battle of Stalingrad

Unfortunately for me the STAVKA decides against a not one step back policy in the Stalingrad area. With my infantry corps outflanking the the Soviet divisions holding the northern bank of the Don and my leading Panzerdivisions having already crossed the Volga Red Army high command does the only sensible thing: immediately withdraw all forces west of the Volga. I only manage to destroy 4 infantry divisions and a rifle corps but the bulk of the Russian forces succeeds in escaping across the Volga.

Of course this withdrawal also means that Stalingrad cannot be successfully defended any more. The infantry divisions of XVII Korps in heavy fighting secure the eastern bank of the Volga opposite Stalingrad and together with 11th Panzerdivision attacking from the North close the ring around the city. Only token forces are left to defend the city and 328th infantry division, supported by up to 1,000 Luftwaffe aircraft captures the southern part of Stalingrad!

In the South Operation Windhund continues with only minimal interference from the Red Army. With my leading divisions 300 miles from the next railheads the advance is only limited by the supply situation.
Under heavy attacks by 24th Panzer and 14th MotInf divisions the Red Army evacuates Grozny. And while the fighting still rages 12th Panzerdivision advances and cuts the rail line running North from Baku! Another bad news for Stalin.

Despite no real battle of annihilation this week the Red Army suffered another 100.000 casualties.

The German army's situation is quite good, losses have been comparatively light, although the constant action for the Panzerdivisions of the past weeks has reduced operational tank strength to little more then 2.200 tanks. Of course this is nothing compared to the desperate situation the Red Army is facing. For example: there's a 250 mile gap south of Stalingrad that's basically void of Russian forces.

And the "big picture":

Last edited by Para_Bellum; 12/06/11 12:39 PM.

"...late afternoon the Air Tasking Order came in [and] we found the A-10 part and we said, "We are going where!? We are doing what!?"

Capt. Todd Sheehy, Hog pilot, on receiving orders during Operation Desert Storm