Troops:

Germany: 3.110.000 USSR: 4.300.000

Tanks:

Germany: 2.100 USSR: 3.300

Artillery:

Germany: 32.000 USSR: 43.000

Aircraft:

Germany: 2.700 USSR: 9.000

In the North Operation Maiglöckchen ends with the destruction of the encircled Soviet divisions. Another 65.000 men march into captivity. A side effect of the fighting is that North of Vyshnyvolochek a 20 mile gap has developed in the Russian front, with two Panzerkorps in striking distance. The mass of Russian formations to the North just invites another rapid attack, and so I move 10th Panzerdivision north from Rzehv to support the attack. Operation Alberich is born. Even if I don't succeed in trapping all divisions the attack will again unhinge the Red Army defence of the whole sector, forcing them to withdraw from well fortified positions or to stand and die. Both is fine.

The Luftwaffe flies countless missions trying to supply the mobile divisions with fuel, they should be ready to strike next week.

A problem is that the northern pincer is basically non-existent. The 8th SS Cavalry Brigade is moving North from Leningrad to bolster the Finnish attack, but I doubt they'll be able to move more than 30 miles into enemy territory. But if the southern strike force manages to capture the railway at Podborovye the Russians won't be able to withdraw the bulk of their forces. 110 miles...

Along the front from Vyshnyvolochek to Moscow the situation is quite favourable. Due to the shortening of the front I've actually been able to extricate a full infantry corps with three divisions from the front line, as well as two other divisions from various corps that got a bit bloated with reinforcements/troop movements during the blizzard fighting. Two MotInf divisions resting near Rzhev are already back to full strength, and the Panzerdivisions are slowly regaining their strength, too.

A number of limited attack have pushed back the Russians a bit, and all in all the front here is as stable as I could hope for.

In the Tula sector the Russians desperately fight to escape destruction in the two cauldrons formed by operations Rheingold and Rheingold II. Heavy fighting erupts along the Oka river in the North, but the divisions of XL and XXXIX Panzerkorps hold the line. Unfortunately to the South the smaller Kessel North of Lipetsk can't be closed off in time to prevent several Soviet formations to withdraw. And even now the trap isn't fully closed. But still, another 80 miles of front line has basically ceased to exist as the Russians try to escape annihilation.

Together, both operations have torn apart the Red Army front on a 200 mile stretch.

From Voronezh to Rostov no major operations took place. Again just a few limited attacks. Rostov is heavily fortified and well manned and won't fall easily. I'll keep smashing the Russians in front of me but won't start a real offensive here until after the mud period in April. Then Operation Dietrich will launch, its objective the city of Stalingrad on the Volga...

Oh, and four (!)fresh infantry divisions, along with the 22nd Panzerdivision, have arrived at Stalino. It's nice to have reserves once again.

Last edited by Para_Bellum; 10/14/11 06:13 PM.

"...late afternoon the Air Tasking Order came in [and] we found the A-10 part and we said, "We are going where!? We are doing what!?"

Capt. Todd Sheehy, Hog pilot, on receiving orders during Operation Desert Storm