I doubt you had a flawed installation. The install is point and click and doesn't overwrite anything else - so it is what it is. Whether we are talking about EECH, Falcon 4, or pretty much any other sim the AI is always going to display questionable behavior. I have yet to find a sim that doesn't do odd things with AI aircraft.

Of somewhat interest (not for me personally) is the campaign control improvements listed on the BMS site HERE!

• Create flights after Day 1
  • Add Naval Units
  • Change Squadron - Yes, the virtual pilot can change squadrons mid-campaign!
  • Decide squadron control
  • Delete flights safely
  • Security of User Interface (for example: Unable to delete a flight after it's already airborne)
  • Abort Packages in real-time after takeoff
  • Add Packages in real-time
  • Squadron Scheduling - Slots available vs not available[/i]
  • The user can now fully control a squadron(s) by 'disconnecting' it from the ATO. You will have full control of planning missions.
  • A pilot now has more opportunities to join a flight, package or squadron without having to reload the campaign.
  • There is more flexibility in managing and creating a package.
  • The user can now set up packages by take off time or time on target.
  • The user can modify flights / packages up to 2 minutes prior to takeoff. An abort option is present to have a package RTB before carrying out a mission.
  • Each squadron has a schedule manager, broken down into time slots of 15 minutes. This has been revamped in BMS and made more robust.

In my scanning the many pages of the BMS website I see little in the way of mention regarding AI improvements, so I don't know if they've made any changes to it or not.

Regards,
BeachAV8R