I guess it won't help when I tell you it was all my girlfriend's fault?

shedevil

biggrin

Anyway:

Turn 38, March 5th 1942

The Blizzards are over!

Finally. We survived the worst the winter and the Red Army threw against us, the front line is still intact and the Heer despite brutal losses, still capable of offensive operations. I can't stress enough how desperate the situation felt in January/February, seeing my divisions suffer such terrible casualties week after week was painful. I don't think I've ever suffered that much for my poor Pixeltruppen in a game before. From glorious advances to getting stuck in the mud to finally fighting to stave off total annihilation, WitE certainly offered some thrills!

Now, with the weather reverting back to mild frost, my divisions' combat values have vastly improved, while the Red Army formations no longer enjoy their blizzard bonuses. Time to hurt the Red Army again!

Troop ready strength this week has increased to 3.021.561, a surprisingly high number considering the past months. Operational tank strength has also increased again to 1.786.

Leningrad sector:

Again not much action in this area. Most importantly, I have used the Luftwaffe Jäger regiments to relieve I Corps at Leningrad. The 11th, 61th and 260th infantry divisions are already on their way to the Crimea, where they will join the assault on Sevastopol. I have plans to roll up the Red Army front here from the South, once this offensive commences the Finns will finally see action again.

In the Vyshnyvolochek area meanwhile I'm preparing for another limited offensive, Operation Maiglöckchen. The goal of this operation is to cut off and annihilate the Red Army forces concentrated in that front bulge, consisting of ~ a dozen infantry divisions and 5 cavalry corps. For this operation I'll use the recently arrived infantry division to breach the lines, then a mobile force of 2 Panzer and 2 MotInf divisions close the Kessel.

All along the front from Vyshnyvolochek to Moscow I've launched a series of attacks, inflicting heavy casualties (~9:1 ratio) on the Russians and routing almost 20 formations of brigade or divisional strength off the battlefield. With my division's fighting strength restored now my infantry divisions are finally an offensive weapon again!

And the Kesselschlacht near Kalinin still rages on. Again the Red Army tried desperately to break out, but my troops managed to keep the cauldron closed, despite some a crisis at 7th Panzerdivision. With their final effort failed the Red Army units encircled are now officially doomed.

In the Moscow area I push the Red Army back with heavy losses to the Russians, and launch another limited offensive to cut off the Soviet forces east of Moscow. The attacks cost the Russians 35.000 casualties and result in the encirclement of another 3 rifle divisions, 1 cavalry division and a tank brigade. Once again SS Das Reich MotInf division and the Großdeutschland regiment have been the spearheads of a successful operation.

All along the front from Kaluga to Voroshilovgrad I commence a general attack, inflicting 40.000 casualties on the Red Army with a 10:1 loss rate. I want to prevent the Red Army to build up prior to my main spring offensive and want to destroy as many powerful formations as possible. With the fighting strength of my divisions finally back to normal levels the weak Russian divisions don't stand a chance.

In the Stalino-Rostov I launch Operation Abendrot, yet another limited offensive aiming to cut off and destroy the forward Russian troops.

South of Lutigino German infantry divisions, gallantly supported by the Hungarian Mountain Brigade, break through the Russian flank and open a way for the 13th and 14th Panzerdivisions, 1st Rumanian Panzerdivision, 25th MotInf Division, SS-Wiking MotInf Division and the Slovakian Mobile Division. Under this onslaught the Russians break apart and my spearheads race South. At the same time German and Rumanian infantry divisions assault the Russian lines north of Taganrog. Soon the front is torn open and the 9th, 11th and 16th Panzerdivisions roll through the gap, to meet the northern pincer at Kuybyshevo. My losses during this operation amount to ~ 5.000, with Russian casualties well over 40.000.

Operation Abendrot has trapped another 4 tank brigades, 4 rifle brigades and 6 rifle divisions.

On the Crimea nothing happens because I have to wait for reinforcements and heavy artillery. I'm in no hurry to take Sevastopol.

This was a good week. I inflicted more than 120.000 casualties on the Red Army while suffering ~ 15.000 myself. And even more important: the Red Army lost 640 tanks this week, while my own Panzer losses are a mere 33. This means the Red Army is down to less than 2.500 operational tanks!

Also the Russians are down to an operational troop strength of 4.350.000 men, while my German forces are at ~ 3.000.000. Add to that 1.5 Mio of allied forces and it doesn't actually look too bad.

I'll now have a nice Scotch or two.

Last edited by Para_Bellum; 09/20/11 07:30 PM.

"...late afternoon the Air Tasking Order came in [and] we found the A-10 part and we said, "We are going where!? We are doing what!?"

Capt. Todd Sheehy, Hog pilot, on receiving orders during Operation Desert Storm