The Wings of Prey
Airshow 2011
(a virtual airshow)

I had the idea for this a while ago after the introduction of the flyby camera. I've been to a few airshows in recent years and thought it would be fun to try and create a virtual airshow using some of the warbirds from Wings of Prey.

I've used a few filters and motion to try to give the video that hand-held-camera, spectator type of feel to it and used some actual airshow audio in parts to add to the illusion.

Please forgive my meagre display of aerobatics. You'll see more rolls than in a bakery!

Check out the P-51's screaming whine as it zooms past the camera! It displays the paintscheme of 'Big Beautiful Doll', sadly lost at Duxford this year. You'll also notice that this aircraft is predominant in the video. It gave me the best angles and the reflections on that chrome surface are very nice!

Special thanks to Fenris and MadMass for the skins.

Crank up the volume!
Glo

Please go to the Youtube page (bottom right icon) for HD viewing option or download the HQ 720p file below.

Hiqh quality download link ( WoP Airshow.mp4, 33.46MB, 720p)

On display today:
D-Day Spitfire LF IX, MK392, originally flown by Wing Commander ‘Johnnie’ Johnson, OC No144Wg, Ford, England, June 1944. - Aircraft skin recreated by Fenris
P51D 78th Big Beautiful Doll - Aircraft skin recreated by MadMass
P-47D, “No Guts No Glory”, originally flown by Captain Ben I. Mayo Jr., CO of 82nd FS, 78th FG, 8th AF, Duxford, England, June 1944 - Aircraft skin recreated by Fenris

System
AMD Phenom II X6 1055T 95W @ 3.5Ghz
8GB DDR3 1333MHz
ATI HD 4850 1GB
Windows 7 x64 Ultimate SP1 (on OCZ Agility SSD 60GB)

Flight Gear
Freetrack 6DoF (using TrackIR 3 cam)
Saitek Cyborg Evo Force (failed after 6 strong years of service)
Saitek X-52 Pro Flight System with Hall Sensor Magnet Mod (flying is good again)