When the blizzards hit the last patch wasn't released yet, so my infantry divisions were suffering brutal losses even in decent fortifications. Without my Panzerdivisions I would've suffered several breakthroughs, of that I'm sure. Where the situation allowed I did pull out my Panzerdivisions, but especially in the Vyzhnyvolochek-Kalinin area I was fearing a breakthrough that could actually endanger Moscow. With hindsight I should have gone over to a defensive posture 2-3 weeks earlier, but then the need for Operation Westerwald made that impossible.

Originally Posted By: vonKhan
Nice, so what, two more weeks of terrible weather?
When are your new tanks coming to the front? How do you intend to realllocate your resources so that you can push to Stalingrad without compromising the strength around Moscow?

Yep, two more weeks.

The new tanks will trickle down to the divisions in the coming weeks. How much time exactly that will take I don't know. Right before Westerwald I refitted 4 Panzerdivisions in the Vyazma area and they went from a pretty battered status to 80+% tank strength in 2-3 weeks. I plan on moving the bulk of my Panzer and MotInf divisions South, keeping only half a dozen of these divisions in the North. Before I do that I'll have to do something about the "nose" protruding to the south-west on the western shoulder of the Moscow front though...

EDIT:

Here's a shot with the (approximate) historical situation in February '42 compared to the situation in my current game:

Last edited by Para_Bellum; 08/17/11 12:20 PM.

"...late afternoon the Air Tasking Order came in [and] we found the A-10 part and we said, "We are going where!? We are doing what!?"

Capt. Todd Sheehy, Hog pilot, on receiving orders during Operation Desert Storm