Originally Posted By: vonKhan
Does the game let you train new formations?

The Red Army commander can create new formations (within certain historical limits), the German player has to make do with historical reinforcements. For example: in the current turn (30) I got two fresh infantry divisions from OKW. Now I just need to rail them from Berlin to Moscow...

Originally Posted By: Ssnake
It would be interesting to know whether you can choose to build new formations, or to train reinforcements that then get assigned to existing divisions. In the "Kampfkraft" study by Martin van Creveld this was identified as one of the points that gave the Wehrmacht an edge.

Ah, one of my favourite WW2 books!

You can't create German formations the same way you can create Red Army formations. But what you can do as German commander is, for example, disband the Luftwaffe field divisions (or actually any other unit) and have their manpower and equipment be used as "normal" replacements.

Originally Posted By: Zero Niner
Your grim situation makes me wonder if rather than a broad front assault in the initial stages (which is the impression I get from reading the AARs) one would be better served by conserving forces and selecting points of attack - one of the key principles of the attack, if memory serves me.
It will be interesting to see how the rest of the winter pans out.

Keep in mind that it's not the combat that is killing me, but rather the weather conditions during the Blizzards. My casualties up to the 1st week of December were actually pretty light (~400.000).

Combat losses during the Blizzards are still (somewhat) sustainable despite my divisions having their combat value drastically reduced while the Red Army units have theirs doubled and trippled. But the 80.000-100.000 additional casualties due to the cold are brutal.

On a happy note: the first convalescents are starting to return to their units. I hope it's enough.

"...late afternoon the Air Tasking Order came in [and] we found the A-10 part and we said, "We are going where!? We are doing what!?"

Capt. Todd Sheehy, Hog pilot, on receiving orders during Operation Desert Storm