I just saw this SimHQ that Joe did last year with Scary Pidgeon.... that link is here

Part of that interview talks about a Dynamic Campaign

Quote:
Joe: In 2006 you told SimHQ about the dynamic campaign system planned for Jet Thunder. Dynamic campaigns are always a hot-button issue with SimHQ members. Can you give us a current description of the campaign system and tell us what you feel are some of its major strengths?

SP: I think it would be unthinkable to not have some sort of dynamic campaign. Embarrassingly, we don´t have the complete design for it yet. We are pondering mainly if there ought to be a sort of RTS running in the background, which might be quite tricky technically. Alternatively, we could use a turn-based approach similar to the Total War strategy game series; this would be turn-based strategy with optional real time resolution, which might be easier. I'm pondering rules of popular board games to see if they are applicable.

We imagine the dynamic campaign will also have a number of "what ifs"; for example, what if Port Stanley runway was extended? The Argentinians chose to fortify the island's ground defenses rather than improve its airfield. Would the option of using Mirages supersonically be a useful edge?

First, I don't think there is anything to be embarrassed about, if you don't have a true dynamic campaign, because nobody else does either, outside of the various flavors of Falcon 4 .

Second, I kinda doubt that this would be feasible in your initial release? Will it make into the final boxed release, or will it be part of some kind of future add-on?

Third, how much of these plans have been changed/modified now that you have a publisher? The focus has to be getting a product out there and getting some cash flow in the door -- that's just reality and nothing wrong with that.

Personally I am good with something like we see in DCS:A10 -- a mission generator and a campaign builder that allows for semi-dynamic campaigns, something with some room to grow and add-on later, but still enables users to generate additional content. I also like the idea of the campaign server for MP and/or maybe some kind of RTS or something running in the background (less enthusiastic here if it sucks up memory).

Please give us an update on where we are at on all this now that we have a publisher and a phase release strategy.

Ripcord

Last edited by Ripcord; 11/07/10 02:01 PM.

USN/USMC -- when it positively, absolutely has to be blown up overnight.