McGonigle::
Quote:
No interface at all! \:D
A sloppy design of interface intrudes between game and gamer. A well crafted interface gives gaming Power to the gamer. It all falls back on the programming.

I'd love to see a flight sim interface that when you start the game every time, the basic interface shows click pictures of historical era trainers that the flight sim Newbie can fly. These should be rather large, and placed where they are in your face. Clicking these would start you in the air flying an easy to fly trainer. The trainer flying environment should be near an airfield for landing and touch~n~go practice perhaps. Other click buttons can start the Newbie on the airfield . Best of all, even old timers who have had the game for a while would be tempted to hop into these sweet flying trainers, so the interface is not for Newbies alone but would be useful to crusty old timers.

Experienced flight simmers installing their new sim may not like having to sit through recruiting officer video sequences or inputting their name into a text forms. Everybody here does already in their computing, and we most likely just filled in our names in the product registration form before starting the game. Be careful about asking for video sequences often seen in past sims. You may get what you ask for along with rocket armed Triplanes. The programming resources that has gone into the Cornball video sequences would have been better spent on programming the sim to be Newbie friendly without turning off the experienced flight simmer.

Word is that the new 1C:Maddox BoB will include flyable Bf~108 Taifun and Westland Lysander. A serious attempt at useful interface will place these easy aircraft where the Newbie cannot miss them at game startup. Just thinking of this alone makes me think that Maddox Games may bring the Re~Birth of the Flight Sim Genre...especially that Microsoft has retreated from the World War 2 flight sim market by cancelling 4FSC--Microsoft reatreating in the face of competition (Maddox) is a very rare event. :p If its flyable, I will be flying the Bf~108 all the time just for flying and so as experienced encrusted old timer would not mind Bf~108 being in my face at the game startup interface.