WallDog::
Quote:
nobody would force other developers to follow a similar model.
oh :p

well, okay then!!

Although I am now a pure offline simmer, I enjoy the potential shown by the TargetWare online war sim. In fact when I upgrade I may join the WAR, and the cost for a year is much less than a medium grade video card. I just hope the pay~for~play will serve to discourage the internet dogfighter brownie point hunters from joining to kill steal or team kill. Which brings up another point...

WallDog::
Quote:
Sometimes a new idea is radical enough that it might warrant a complete restructuring or reclassification of one of the global areas. I for example am suggesting that we might use real pilots instead of just AI even in what are typically considered 'offline' environments.
WallDog, what are you talking about?

-------------

McGonigle::
Quote:
Who stole all those cycles????
Windows?

Java?

With a new Athalon 2000+ booting pure DOS 6.22 my old Flanker 1.0 jet sim can handle about 500 AI aircraft in combat at one time, along with several hundred SAM sites and large ships. The limit on my old Pentium 133MHz was about 100 aircraft and 40 SAM sites and ships.

Granted, the AI in Forgotten Battles is actually far more detailed than Flanker 1.0, but I believe alot of FB code is written in Java and the max my 2000+ can handle is about 30 aircraft in combat at one time and no surface units. Sadly, the newer AI does not give any more overall battlefield gameplay immersion than the old AI from 1994. I believe this is mostly because you can make more "realistic" dogfighter AI but you get diminishing returns of immersion if you don't also program the AI for larger concepts of behavior such as multiple ways of defining aircraft formations as described above about the O-R-B um_er spaceship AI, or programming AI for environmental awareness such as blinding by the sun, not seeing through clouds, and loss of visibility at night or in missions where the weather is set to poor.

Has any flight sim ever programmed AI to be aware of clouds?