We’re probably having too many different conversations here and that aids confusion.

Walldog, I’ve reread the thread you linked to and I hope you will find partners and realize your idea and vision. Respect.

As far as I can tell, in that thread you state that there will be no need to program AI or dynamic campaigns, because everything is online, behind the scenes.

It’s your choice entirely of course as it’s your vision. Follow you vision if it is at all possible.

So in a more general commentary, I’d like to see some of those hot multiplayer coders from Joint Operations on the development on the next WW1 fligth sim :-D

Let’s see what they can do when they have to include information on the connection so that we can make saveable, editable and viewable replays, out of an online dogfight with 125 a/c.

And I still want offline, as in internet connection closed. It’s really no different than that sometimes I like to go out and sometimes I prefer to stay in. I’d like to have that same distinction in my gaming.

Saying that it’s too difficult to program better AI, imo is giving up and admitting defeat before really trying. Isn’t it sad, really, that Tailgunner found the best AI in RB3D? A five year old sim?

So we went from 133MHz CPU’s to 3 GHz CPU’s. And today we have better graphics, but worse AI.What I’d like to know is this:

Who stole all those cycles????

We had GPU’s then as we have now, now they’re even bigger, better and terrifyingly faster. Where did it all go wrong then?

Surely it can’t be that difficult to mix the rulebased and random elements in such a way that the random events are within some appropriate parameters in terms of a/c and combat situation?

It’s just that in general I get the impression that developers dropped PC’s because they claimed consoles were easier to develop for, some want to drop the programming of better AI because it’s too hard. What’s the next thing they’ll drop, just because it’s too hard to program?

Since I'm just an old fart who can't resist playing with words, I'd say that we have not designed ourselves into a box, the box has been taken away from us, salami-style, one slice at a time. ;\)

Jens C. Lindblad

Sent from my Desktop